The National Football League, or the NFL, is America’s biggest sports league. Each season the NFL betting industry makes billions and attracts millions of viewers. Nevada sportsbook and online betting sites stand to make millions of dollars on one match alone. So, as you can see, getting in on the NFL betting action can be highly rewarding if you know what you’re doing.
Here at BestUSSportsBetting.com, we’ve compiled a handy guide for those new to NFL betting. Additionally, we delve into the best NFL betting sites, what makes a good betting site, some NFL betting strategies, and some top expert tips.
Best NFL Betting Sites
The best online betting sites for betting on the NFL can be found below. These sites offer great betting lines and odds on your favorite games.
What you’ll find in this NFL betting guide:
- A Brief NFL History
- How to Pick NFL Betting Sites
- Betting Types and Strategies
- Best Tips for Betting on the NFL
The NFL is made up of 32 teams from the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC). If you make it into the NFL, you’ve made it into the highest professional level of American football in the world.
Formed in 1920, it was known as the American Professional Football Association (APFA). It became the NFL in its 1922 season. A merger with the American Football League (AFL) in 1966 made it the major league we know and love today. The first Super Bowl, the finals of the NFL season, was played in that same year.
Today, the NFL has an attendance of 67 591, the highest average attendance of any professional sports league throughout the world. Furthermore, the Super Bowl is among the biggest club sports event in the world. In 2019, the NFL had its 53rd Super Bowl which as won by the New England Patriots.
There are thousands of online sports betting sites out there and it can get confusing for US players to pick the best one, especially if it’s their first time. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of what to look out for when searching for the best NFL betting sites for American bettors.
- Bet Variety: Does the betting website have a good mix of sports to bet on and various odds on NFL betting? Be on the look out for which sportsbook offers you the best odds on your NFL bet.
- Bonuses: What bonuses, if any, does this NFL betting site offer? Most online sports betting sites have welcome bonuses to entice new bettors. Also, look out for whether they have other bonus offers like loyalty programs or cashback refunds. This shows if they care about their customers.
- User Interface: Does the NFL betting site have an easy-to-navigate website? Is it easy to read and understand the odds? This determines whether a bettor enjoys the betting site.
- Banking Options: How many banking options does the site have? Are they easy to use and have short payout waiting periods? A variety of payment methods is an indicator of a good betting site.
- Trustworthiness: Is the site where I’m doing my NFL betting a legitimate site? US bettors can check this by looking for the website’s certificate of registration. Also, check if they have a third-party auditor company to ensure fairness.
- Customer Support: Is it easy to get in touch with the site to help you with a problem? Look at how many ways there are available and how quick they are at responding to queries.
Going into NFL betting with a strategy in mind is a sure way of helping you win. There are quite a number of strategies football bettors use. Therefore, it means that you have to learn the basics of each one to find the one that suits your style.
Below are some NFL betting strategies that bettors use:
- Betting Against the Public: as the name puts it, bettors look at what the general consensus is and they bet against that.
- Futures Bet: wagering on a future event. The most popular NFL futures bet is betting on who will win the Super Bowl.
- Spread Bet: the spread, or line, is a side bet that has a handicap. A favorite team will have a negative sign while the underdog will have a positive sign.
- Moneyline Bet: betting on whether the favorite or underdog will win straight up.
- Quarter and First Half Lines Bet: the quarter is a bet on who will be leading at the end of the first quarter. While the first half line is a bet on who will be leading by the end of the first half.
- Halftime Lines Bet: this is an in-play live bet placed during halftime to wager on who will be leading during the second half of the game.
- Over/Under or Totals Bet: US bettors will be wagering on whether the total points are over or under a score set by the sportsbook.
- Parlay Bet: parlays are wagers place together with the spread, moneyline, and totals. You only win if all your individual bets are right.
Check out our guides on the NFL AFC divisions:
Betting on the NFL is not an easy feat because of the unpredictable nature of the sport. Winning a bet here and there is possible. But hitting a long-term winning streak is hard to do. If you want to be successful at NFL betting, a fair amount of knowledge about football and the current season is necessary.
Below we’ve compiled a list of some tips to keep in mind. Success in NFL betting isn’t a 100 percent guarantee but they will help guide you.
- Set a bankroll and stick to it: this is the most important piece of advice we could give you. Whether you’re gambling or betting on your favorite sport, set a bankroll and stick to it. You don’t want to be betting above your means and lose money you can’t afford to lose. Moreover, the bankroll is a tool. You’ll find that sticking to a budget helps you make the right decisions and deal with a long losing streak.
- Learn the basics of handicapping: making money off NFL betting needs one to have the ability to spot value and know how to use it to your advantage. However, this is more of an art form than an exact science can learn. But learning the basics of handicapping the market are learnable and kinda straightforward. Try spend some time learning and understanding them. Practice makes perfect.
- Do your own research and analysis, and trust your instincts: to become successful at NFL betting, the bettor really needs to spend time getting to know the sport and forming their own opinion. By just taking the word of analysts and experts, you won’t get far. Study past results, player and team stats, and other factors that can affect the NFL team’s performance.
- Watch as many games as you can: this helps you as a bettor better understand the team’s playing styles, individual abilities, and performance overall. Purely relying on data only gives you half the information.
- Look for the best betting sites: signing up at more than one sports betting site gives you a variety to choose from. This allows you to find the highest payout odds and markets. Make sure they also have a great welcome bonus which gives you a bit of extra cash in your bankroll to play with.
Check out our specific NFL betting guides: